Google has announced that it is shutting down Google+ after a bug exposed account information of 500,000 users.
On Monday Google announced that it discovered a bug in one of the Google+ People APIs which allowed third-party apps to access private information of Google+ users.
The exposed data includes name, email address, occupation, gender and age.
The company said it discovered and immediately patched the bug on March 2018 and they did not find any evidence of misuse of data and found no evidence that any developer was aware of this bug.
Reports suggest that Google decided not to disclose the issue immediately after discovering it due to fears of immediate regulatory interest.
“Every year, we send millions of notifications to users about privacy and security bugs and issues. Whenever user data may have been affected, we go beyond our legal requirements and apply several criteria focused on our users in determining whether to provide notice.” said in the post published by Google.
According to analysis data of up to 500,000 Google+ accounts were exposed in the breach and 438 application may have used this API.
Google believes bug occurred “as a result of the API’s interaction with a subsequent Google+ code change”.
Google will shut down Google+ for the next 10 months, and users will be provided ways to download and migrate their data.
Last week Facebook has announced a data breach exposing personal information of 50 million accounts.
You may be interested in reading:Facebook Admits using 2FA Phone Numbers for Targeted Ads